I’ll never forget one of my first freshmen English sections in college. The teacher—probably a grad student—went around the table asking each of us which character in fiction we wanted to be and why. I was horrified and petrified and the truth was I really wanted to be one of the Sweet Valley High Twins ... Read more
In my extended family, I have by default become the unofficial Thanksgiving hostess. No one else wants to deal with the mess, or the hassle, so I have taken over. Ever since my first daughter was born and I went into my first post-partum “mole” period, I’ve been hosting—that baby is 10 now and her ... Read more
We had entered into the hot and meaty part of Summer. It’s late July; the days are long—a little stir craziness has set in. I wasn’t up for the economic commitment of weekly camps and Summer school, and I thought it would be nice for all of us to truly have the Summer “off.” We ... Read more
Preemptive strike/apology/explanation: I’m recommending a non-fiction book which is more a reflection on what’s been going on around me than what I’ve been reading. I’ve read an absurd number of novels in the last few months—nothing to be proud of really—it’s an addiction like any other, but the bottom line was that I couldn’t choose ... Read more
I went through a period of about 18 months after my second daughter was born when I never really slept for more than 3 hours at a time. I had a crazy 2 year old that never napped and a newborn with some health issues and strange, erratic nursing habits so I spent many long ... Read more
“The Mad Hatter: Have I gone mad? Alice: I’m afraid so. You’re entirely bonkers, but I’ll tell you a secret: all the best people are.” There’s a guy that goes to my gym. He wears old school Raybans the entire time he’s working out. The glasses are the Risky Business Tom Cruise kind that are a tough ... Read more
My daughter takes guitar lessons at a groovy little music shop by the beach. Every one of the teachers there is mellow and kind. She’s getting really good. I’m incredibly jealous. Every 3-4 months, they put together a student/teacher concert and perform at the café next door. The teachers accompany the kids. It’s by far ... Read more
Here is the premise of this story: Alice Love pedals so hard in spin class that she shoots herself off the bike and rams her head—hard—into the bike next to hers. She loses consciousness, and when she wakes up, she has lost 10 years of her life to amnesia. She knows who she is but ... Read more
I’m lying by the pool with my older sister. It’s spring break. The kids are swimming. The sun is warm, and it feels good on my skin. I’m soaking it up—soaking up all that vitamin D mixed with UV radiation. I know it’s not good for me. I know it causes skin cancer. But it ... Read more
Some girls can only have one friend at a time. They are “Best friend girls.” They have the BFF and they are good to go. This is a dangerous game because if something goes awry with the BFF then there is no safety net. I was (and am) more of a group gal. I have ... Read more
- Home Sweet Home
- NEWS BLOG
- About O-MAMA
- omama: HA - totally agree! Sounds like you have the best...
- Debomama: I love you, BookMAMA! Both of my kids have phones...
- momof3: I'm concerned that dropping bombs is going to kil...
- ljbonilla2: I love books! I am a writer & author. Visit my...
- jeepgirl49: I think the key to the whole immigration issue is ...
- MARRIAGE VOWS: Gay Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional August 5, 2010
- BORN IN THE USA: Obama Birther Non-Sense April 19, 2011
- MOUTHS WIDE OPEN: Supreme Court Upholds Free Speech March 3, 2011
- AMAZING RACE: President Announces Education Winners August 25, 2010
- LABOR PAINS: Labor Union Protests in Wisconsin August 9, 2011
- MAJORITY RULES: What’s Your Mommy Governing Style? October 3, 2014
- THREE CHEERS FOR THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE: Celebrating 4th of July June 26, 2014
- SPRING TRAINING: Taking The Steam Out Of TEEN SEX April 20, 2014
- DOUBLE MEANING: Celebrate Easter and Spring April 1, 2014
- FEATHERING OUR NESTS: O-MAMA’s Perspective on SPRING CLEANING April 1, 2014
Follow @OMAMA2009 on Twitter