Noah Webster & His Words, written by Jeri Chase Ferris. Any time I read anything about the birth of our nation…about our Patriots and Sons of Liberty fighting against the hold of King George and Mother Britain…about settlers moving west and creating lives and towns and families and histories in the wilds…about town hall meetings ... Read more
Bonk – The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex, written by Mary Roach. A.J. Jacobs said Mary Roach could write a book about Quonset huts and he would read it—she’s that good. Well, I feel the same way about A.J.Jacobs, so I figured I should give Roach a try. Mary Roach is the funniest science ... Read more
Betty Bunny is a very popular bunny in the world of children’s literature, but she also gets a little bit of a bad rap because she’s pretty badly behaved. She’s in good company though–all the old and new favorites tend to be less than perfect as far as manners and overall demeanor: Olivia, Eloise, etc. ... Read more
So this is the first book I read DIGITALLY on my iPad. I’ve been a hold-out for a while now—lugging stacks of books around when I travel and quite literally running out of room in my house to store books—and I am constantly giving my books away and yet they seem to continue to multiply. ... Read more
We had a very girly couple of days last weekend. Daddy was off hunting and so we spent our days trying to tire out our puppy and doing each other’s nails…baking peanut butter muffins and red velvet cupcakes and flat ironing each other’s hair..but most of our time, in the evening at least, was spent ... Read more
I had a red mark on my forehead—nothing really, easily covered by make-up—except when it would flake and then scab and then bleed when I washed my face. So after much urging from family, I had it checked; they did a biopsy, and sure enough…skin cancer—not the dreaded melanoma but basal cell carcinoma—whatever, I had ... Read more
My mother in law is 100% Swedish which makes my husband ½ (his father was French/Greek) and my kids ¼ Swedish for sure. So they are more Swedish than anything else. What they get from my side is a crazy mix (and I do mean crazy) of Irish, Italian, Mexican, Danish, Native-American, and more—the classic ... Read more
At work, periodically I get emails that are sent to all faculty and staff alerting us to specific circumstances that may involve a child or his or her family and may affect our interaction with that child. These emails are always highly confidential but often really important and useful. If there is a student acting ... Read more
Why are bad things so much worse at Christmas? For some reason there is this almost innate desire in us parent types to have that traditional, Norman Rockwell-esque picture perfect holiday with the cozy fire, nuclear family, big dog on the rug, carolers at the door, steaming cider in mugs. Anything short of that is ... Read more
We were having dinner at my mother-in-laws the other night. Her ice maker has been on the fritz, and she lives alone so she had just been using her old ice trays rather than call a repairman. She was helping my daughters get some cranberry juice—on the rocks—of course, and was popping the ice casually ... Read more
- Home Sweet Home
- NEWS BLOG
- About O-MAMA
- omama: HA - totally agree! Sounds like you have the best...
- Debomama: I love you, BookMAMA! Both of my kids have phones...
- momof3: I'm concerned that dropping bombs is going to kil...
- ljbonilla2: I love books! I am a writer & author. Visit my...
- jeepgirl49: I think the key to the whole immigration issue is ...
- MARRIAGE VOWS: Gay Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional August 5, 2010
- BORN IN THE USA: Obama Birther Non-Sense April 19, 2011
- MOUTHS WIDE OPEN: Supreme Court Upholds Free Speech March 3, 2011
- AMAZING RACE: President Announces Education Winners August 25, 2010
- LABOR PAINS: Labor Union Protests in Wisconsin August 9, 2011
- MAJORITY RULES: What’s Your Mommy Governing Style? October 3, 2014
- THREE CHEERS FOR THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE: Celebrating 4th of July June 26, 2014
- SPRING TRAINING: Taking The Steam Out Of TEEN SEX April 20, 2014
- DOUBLE MEANING: Celebrate Easter and Spring April 1, 2014
- FEATHERING OUR NESTS: O-MAMA’s Perspective on SPRING CLEANING April 1, 2014
Follow @OMAMA2009 on Twitter