Easter is a Christian holiday that like most is mixed with ‘pagan’ ritual and celebration. Pagan rituals were adapted around important Christian celebrations. Even the word Easter comes from the Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring, “Eostre.” Today, Christians celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter, but most Americans also celebrate the spirit of spring and renewal. The holiday also has its roots around the Hebrew time of Passover, which dates back to Moses leading the Jews out of Egypt. The egg has long been a symbol of new life and fertility that we associate with springtime. The Easter bunny, same thing…fertility. On Easter, some families gather to hunt eggs and eat candy left by the Easter Bunny, some go to church, and some just take the day to be together. What traditions do you celebrate?
DOUBLE MEANING: Celebrate Easter and Spring
Posted By Debomama on April 1, 2014
- Home Sweet Home
- NEWS BLOG
- About O-MAMA
- omama: HA - totally agree! Sounds like you have the best...
- Debomama: I love you, BookMAMA! Both of my kids have phones...
- momof3: I'm concerned that dropping bombs is going to kil...
- ljbonilla2: I love books! I am a writer & author. Visit my...
- jeepgirl49: I think the key to the whole immigration issue is ...
- MARRIAGE VOWS: Gay Marriage Ban Ruled Unconstitutional August 5, 2010
- BORN IN THE USA: Obama Birther Non-Sense April 19, 2011
- MOUTHS WIDE OPEN: Supreme Court Upholds Free Speech March 3, 2011
- AMAZING RACE: President Announces Education Winners August 25, 2010
- LABOR PAINS: Labor Union Protests in Wisconsin August 9, 2011
- MAJORITY RULES: What’s Your Mommy Governing Style? October 3, 2014
- THREE CHEERS FOR THE RED, WHITE AND BLUE: Celebrating 4th of July June 26, 2014
- SPRING TRAINING: Taking The Steam Out Of TEEN SEX April 20, 2014
- DOUBLE MEANING: Celebrate Easter and Spring April 1, 2014
- FEATHERING OUR NESTS: O-MAMA’s Perspective on SPRING CLEANING April 1, 2014
Follow @OMAMA2009 on Twitter