We’re sick of pretending like we’re going to join a gym, lose the same 10 lbs. as we’ve pledged before and finally fit into our skinny jeans. Really? Who cares? Not us, or we’d do it. So, how about just resolving to do what we can do? Let’s embrace the Spanks and stop dumping so many unrealistic expectations on ourselves all at once – to stop smoking, stop swearing, stop eating crap, oh my. To find yourself, to find the love of your life, to win the lottery…and on and on? Paaaaleeeeease. Stop. Take a deep breath and realize that January 1st is just one day – so, we don’t have to “bite off more than we can chew.” Instead, we are going to try to nibble away at some things all year long.
1. Stop setting double digit weight loss goals – we are keeping expectations low, running around with the kids a little, going to stop eating their sandwich crusts and consider any missing ounces an accomplishment.
2. Say “no” a lot more – not just to our kids and their whining, but to everyone who asks us to do stuff we really don’t want to do or have time to do. ”Thank you for considering me for the stamp licking responsibilities for the fundraiser, but I’m going to have to pass this year.”
3. Don’t wear sweats every day – we are changing it up a little and foregoing the elastic waste band a couple times a week just to make sure we still fit into our “fat” jeans.
4. Throw out the granny panties – good grief, we all have them and some of us have ones with holes…comfy, shmumfy, they’re heinous so we’re dumping ‘em.
5. Use paper plates when you have “friends” over – we’ll be happy we don’t have to do dishes and they’ll be happy they don’t have to help us. If they are really our friends, they’ll understand that enjoying time together is better than time in the kitchen!
6. Take a holiday from waxing (or doing anything painful in the name of beauty) – that’s right, instead of dreaming of a spa day, we are giving ourselves a real break and going au naturel for awhile in 2013. No, we don’t mean going hairy, just going painless. (-:
7. Don’t listen to radio Disney when your kids aren’t in the car – it’s not cool, it’s kind of embarrassing that we know the words to Justin Bieber, so we are changing the channel, pumping up the volume and rocking out to our faves once in awhile because we still ROCK MAMAs.
8. Stop driving around looking for the closest parking spot – instead, we are purposely parking in the farthest spot and considering it our “exercise” for the day!
9. Consider “warming up dinner” as the same as cooking dinner – we aren’t preparing julienned vegetables and coq au vin when we’ve got three kids to get to and fro, homework and scrub downs every night, so we’re considering heating up left-overs or buying prepared foods the new “home-cooked” meal – yes, it counts.
10. Don’t pretend to have a headache – we are taking 2 aspirin, closing our eyes and remembering what we actually like about the person in bed next to us. This year, we are making love a priority.
Sometimes we’ve got to cut ourselves some slack, ladies. We do it all – sometimes with grace and sometimes like a klutz, but we still get it done. Start the year off resolved to take things day by day – know that you’re doing the best you can and you’re going to try some stuff and you’re going to blow off some stuff. But at the end of the day, when you tuck your kids in safe and sound, know you did a good job that day. And, let that be enough. We hope that 2013 brings you a lot of good days, MAMAS! Happy New Year.
What are your resolutions MAMAS?