We interviewed author, educator and MAMA of four, Cindy Muchnick about her new book, “The Everything Guide To Study Skills.” She let us in on the common sense, no-nonsense secrets behind raising a well-educated kid, including the “Top 10 Habits of Successful Students.” This MAMA has written the “Cliff’s Notes” on getting kids through school- a guide every student can keep on their desk, and keep parents off their backs! Cindy says, “I bridge the gap between parents and children. I have learned as both parent and educator that it is much easier for students to listen to and believe an outsider’s perspective verses words and advice coming from their parents’ mouths . . . even if the advice is exactly the same!”
Cindy’s top 10 habits of successful students are:
1. Treat school as your job.
2. Pursue learning with passion, vigor, and an open mind.
3. Always attend class. Arrive on time and ready to learn.
4. Do your homework and extra credit options!
5. Set academic, extracurricular, and social goals and aim to achieve them.
6. Become an active learner, a good listener, and class participant. Think outside the box and strive to make interdisciplinary connections among your various classes.
7. Demonstrate responsibility and take ownership of your education. Don’t be afraid to take risks and learn from your mistakes.
8. Master and refine your ability to schedule, manage your time, and be organized.
9. Develop your writing skills.
10. Build relationships with your teachers. Attend office hours outside of class whenever possible.