27,463 MOMS HAVE JOINED
Lying

WEINER ROAST: Anthony Weiner Resigns

UPDATE 6/16: Two weeks after the Twitter photo scandal began, Anthony Weiner announced that he will leave Congress.  In the press conference, where hecklers could be heard in the background, Weiner thanked his constituents for their support over his 20 year political career.  He also apologized again to his wife of almost one year, Huma, who is pregnant with their first child.

We polled Opinionated MAMAs this week and 60% of you said that Weiner should step down.  America’s moms have spoken.

———————————-

UPDATE 6/14: President Obama told NBC’s Ann Curry what he would do if he were Congressman Weiner.  ”I can tell you that if it was me, I would resign.  Because public service is exactly that, it’s service to the public. And when you get to the point where, because of various personal distractions, you can’t serve as effectively as you need to at the time when people are worrying about jobs and their mortgages and paying the bills, then you should probably step back,” said the President.

———————————-

When will people get the picture?  Congressman, Anthony Weiner (D-NY) admitted to sending a picture of his crotch to a 21 year old woman via Twitter.  When he realized that the communication was accidentally tweeted publically, not in a private direct message, he panicked and said that his account had been hacked.  Finally, though, Weiner admitted the truth-that the picture was of him and that he has had several “inappropriate” interactions with women via Facebook, Twitter and over the phone (a.k.a., “sexting” and phone sex).  Representative Weiner apologized for hurting the ones who matter most to him, including his wife, but said that he would not resign from office.  Democratic leadership in the House has called for an ethics investigation.

MOMism: A picture is worth a thousand words.  We know that pictures say a lot and in this case, they really say it all…”immaturity, irresponsibility, disrespect, arrogance, lack of self-control, poor judgement.”  Once again, folks… don’t send pictures of your junk via social media.  Don’t expect that your Facebook and Twitter communications are sacred?!  If you’re a public figure, you will get caught.  Maybe that’s the point?  Maybe they are desperate for attention and in some perverse way, they want to get caught?!  But, for the rest of us, “regular” folks, especially MAMAs trying to raise kids to be wary of social media, this is just another cautionary tale.  If middle aged men cannot exercise good judgment on line, then how can we expect our hormonal KID-Os prone to doing dumb things to make “friends” be expected to?  Can we use this as a learning MOMent for them to grasp that social media can be damaging and the information that exists on the internet is permanent, public and traceable – even when you think it isn’t – leaving them figuratively, and in this case literally, getting caught with your pants down leaving them exposed and vulnerable!?

MAMAS – How do we protect our kids from the traps of social media?  How is it possible to monitor everything that they Facebook, Tweet and IM?!  Is the lasting impact of pictures and commentary floating around the internet worth it?  Time to unplug the KID-Os?

Click to see our video which includes a warning to our 16 year old selves about social media.

17 Responses to WEINER ROAST: Anthony Weiner Resigns

Christian MAMAS
    Jewish MAMAS
    Mormon MAMAS
    Muslim MAMAS
    Spiritual MAMAS
    Party MAMAs

What do you think MAMAs…how do we keep our kids from Facebook folly?

2. Anonymous June 7, 2011 at 11:44 am #
    Opinionated MAMA

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA, what a WEINER…..

3. Anonymous June 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm #
    Opinionated MAMA

I don't know who said it, but it is something that I firmly agree with. Our chldren should not be allowed access to FACEBOO, TWITTER etc. until the have their driver's license and cell phone should be BASIC: phone calls only. Apparently WEINER does not have his drivers license yet. And God help us if he really is one of our elected leaders. :-) )

4. Anonymous June 7, 2011 at 12:50 pm #
    Opinionated MAMA

I just don't care about the Anthony Weiner scandal. It's a grown man wearing boxer briefs, taking a picture of it and sending it to a grown woman. I don't care!! It doesn't affect his job, what I think of him. I just don't care. If he sent his naked junk to a child, I'd be all up in his business, but that isn't the case. I swear we live in the most sexually repressed country. It's a pair of jockey shorts hiding a penis. Whatever. Now, as far as protecting our children……I'd never let my child have a facebook or twitter account. Not until they were at least 15 or 16. Same with a cell phone. I'd get a basic call cell phone for a younger kid for safety, but nothing with picture/internet on it. Anyway, sorry, the Anthony Weiner thing is just ticking me off. It's his business, his wife's business and the girl he sent it to. That's it! It's not your business. Trust me, we have much more pressing issues going on right now that we should worry about.

• Anonymous June 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

Although I AGREE with you – I don't care either – I do think the lesson above is a good one!!! (Thanks for the constructive twist.) But, I think we all have to dig deep and figure out why our country buys trash mags and listens to sensationalized media. It's because we tune in that those outlets make money and keep doing it…and pushing more and more crap. On some level, we need the crap to make us feel better about our own situations. Maybe it makes us feel less crappy to know that public figures are flawed, too?!

5. Anonymous June 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm #
    Opinionated MAMA

From what I see is, women (not all of them), don't get turned on with stuff like that. Next, you really don't see women taking pictures of their breasts or of their crotch and twitter it, (again, not all of them). Now if a gay man has seen this, now this is a totally different story. I know for a fact that it has been seen by some of my gay male friends. I do completely believe this is stepping out of your marriage, and I feel embarrased for the wife and his family.

• momof3 June 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm #
      Democratic MAMAS
      MAMAS 6th - 8th Graders
      MAMAS 1st - 5th Graders
      MAMAS Pre-School - K
      Party MAMAs

100% correct!!! Why do men think that any woman wants a picture of their package?! Ridiculous.

• Anonymous June 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

Hi momof3!! I completely agree that this is 100% ridiculous! Resigning is something that needs to be considered. If Schwartzanegger (?) would of been found out, WOW-California would of jumped down his throat! What do you think of that??

• momof3 June 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm #
      Democratic MAMAS
      MAMAS 6th - 8th Graders
      MAMAS 1st - 5th Graders
      MAMAS Pre-School - K
      Party MAMAs

For sure, CA would have jumped down his throat!!! The problem is, he wouldn't have cared and he would have stuck it out and Republicans would have rallied around him like they did David Vitter, John Ensign, Mark Sanford, Larry Craig, etc. None of them resigned and they faced criminal charges?! My issue is that these guys are given the public trust and then they abuse it. I'm over the LYING. As far as the other guys that tweet their business around town, Brett Farve, Tiger, etc. I just wonder what they are thinking?! As my grandma always said, "men don't think with the head on their shoulders, they think with the one between their legs." YIKES?!

• Anonymous June 9, 2011 at 3:42 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

Not only was your grandmother right, very wise. You know h w you said, "I don't know what these guys are thinking?". I know exactly what they are thinking, SEX, SEX, SEX……….Do their fathers teach them this very disfunctional habit?? Why is ok for men to insert their package anywhere and everywhere, and if am female does the same thing, OH MY GOODNESS, they are considered a prostitute.

• momof3 June 10, 2011 at 9:50 am #
      Democratic MAMAS
      MAMAS 6th - 8th Graders
      MAMAS 1st - 5th Graders
      MAMAS Pre-School - K
      Party MAMAs

There is hypocrisy everywhere – it's sad. Let's teach our own children better. NO tweeting your hoo hoo or your ha ha. (-:

6. bdita June 8, 2011 at 12:29 pm #
    Party MAMAs

I kind of agree with the comment about who cares what he or others in his position do because that's part of his personal life; however, he is a public figure and he freely chose to be a public figure, and as such, he has a certain responsibility to behave in a certain way, and it's becoming extremely frustrating, for me anyways, to every day hear about another elected official's lack of leadership skills, maturity, intelligence, respect for those who elected them and our kids (all kids), accountability, responsibility, etc., etc. If you want to behave like an immature idiot, then stay out of the public arena. It is hard enough as it is to raise emotionally, intelectually and spiritually sound kids today; therefore, we do not need more people like this child-man in a role-model position exhibiting anything but role-model behavior. Men like him would do us all a huge favor making a career change and stepping out of the public life into annonimity. He is not man (in so many ways!!!) enough for that kind of career/responsibility.

• momof3 June 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm #
      Democratic MAMAS
      MAMAS 6th - 8th Graders
      MAMAS 1st - 5th Graders
      MAMAS Pre-School - K
      Party MAMAs

If it was just about his sexting on his personal Blackberry/PC, I would say that it absolutely is his private business and who cares. BUT, when he was asked directly and he lied about it to ME, that's when he lost me. I actually think Anthony Weiner is an OUTSTANDING advocate for progressive causes – if anyone missed him on the House floor admonishing the Republicans for voting against the 911 Bill, it was amazing. The problem now is that he can't get on that high horse and ride it for all it's worth. He's so smart and yet so dumb – he's lost credibility and he's lost respect. He was such a hot dog and he just became a big weenie. )-:

7. debomama June 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm #
    Christian MAMAS
    Jewish MAMAS
    Mormon MAMAS
    Muslim MAMAS
    Spiritual MAMAS
    Party MAMAs

Uh Oh…when the President tells everyone that, if he were you, he'd resign…what's a guy to do then? UMMMMM, resign perhaps?

8. Anonymous June 16, 2011 at 12:07 pm #
    Opinionated MAMA

I do not agree with this decision. Anthony Weiner was the only Dem that would stand up and say it how it was! I loved his speeches on healthcare reform, the right to marry and many other issues. His personal mistakes do not take away from that and I'm disappointed his fellow Dems did not stand my his side. This would have blown over and it would have been politics as usual. It's a real loss for the Dems and a big win for the GOP…

• Anonymous June 16, 2011 at 4:19 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

It is a great loss for the American people. Anthony Weiner was a passionate advocate for so many important issues, however, he should have known better. He should have known that his political enemies were watching and waiting to exploit anything he did. Why so dumb? The biggest losers in this whole debacle are his constituents…and, for that, Anthony Weiner should be ashamed. We needed him and he blew it. P.s., If he had any other name, maybe it could have blown over?! But really – how could anyone ever forget?

9. Anonymous June 16, 2011 at 2:42 pm #