27,463 MOMS HAVE JOINED
Health

NANNY STATE: Michelle and Deb Talk Breastfeeding on Fox & Friends

MAMAs are having a national debate about breastfeeding…instead of talking about how to lock ‘em down or hoist ‘em up!  First Lady and MOM-in-Chief, Michelle Obama, has made it her mission to combat childhood obesity and inform parents about key touch points in a child’s life where healthy choices are important.  Point one: breast is best, if you can swing it. However, she has come under fire from conservatives, like Representative Michelle Bachmann who say that the government is out of bounds with new tax incentives given to moms who breastfeed.  Fox and Friends interviewed the O-MAMAs to get their fair & balanced and mom perspective on the issue. It was a quickie, but we tried our best to represent O-MAMA’s different opinions.  The bottom line:  these prominent MAMA’s agree, so let’s “listen the message, regardless of the messenger!

Click here to see video clip!

16 Responses to NANNY STATE: Michelle and Deb Talk Breastfeeding on Fox & Friends

1. Anonymous February 19, 2011 at 3:28 pm #
    Opinionated MAMA

I think Michelle Obama should shut the hell up. I am 67 years old, five kids and I would love to know since she is so big on breast feeding and treats us woman of the world like we don't have a brain in our head and need her to instruct us just shows how parellel her mind runs with her husbands ie dictate. There are so many variables that go into breastfeeding such as maybe Mom can't breastfeed and I could go on and on and on but I am sure u all know the same things i do. I am sick of that woman butting her big butt into our homes and telling us what she thinks we should do with our kids. It would be a cold day in hell before I would let any school do a BMI on my kid or tell them what they can have to eat at school. Who the hell does she think she is trying to tell the schools they need to do all this and that for the nutrition of our kids, Again get the hell out Michelle. The next thing u know she will be trying to get in our bedrooms telling us how important it is to have protected sex, no sex or act like a slut in the bedroom or whatever. Ever wondered about her and Obama? I will pass on that one. But seriously we do not want any of these people dictating to us like they are trying to do. It doesn't matter to me the politics, i look at all of us like americans and we are free and will fight and die to stay free but the pattern obama has had for the last two years and long before he hit the whitehouse is so telling on what his agenda is. As americans if u treasure your freedom and the constitution I would suggest u read it again because everything obama has done is not what our constitution says. He is all about power and dictating with his old buddy George Soros and Bill Ayers and Bernadette Dorn. I remember back in the 60's what those fools did and they are worse now then ever. I have read every book there is to read on ole barack and michelle who is just as bad as him and he is as crooked as themm come and very far radical left. Research his past for yourself cuz the truth is out there. When i look at them, any of them and i just see their lips moving and then I do my own research because all politicians lie but the really sad and scary part of it now is we don't have time for the BS politics because our precious USA is in deep trouble and we all really had better watch out for the Chinese. I remember being told over twenty years ago when China was very poor, had nothing going on and I was told by one of my bosses watch out for China cuz they have the biggest population and they may be poor now but they will be at the head of the class in about twenty years and I was also told our country would be taken over by ___________ without ever firing a shot. I am not going to say who but it is getting closer and closer. I remember just foo fooing my boss but it wasn't lost on me cuz I have never forgotten that and look where we are now…..we owe China our butts so u gotta wonder really all these years who was looking after the american people. Important thing is we are all awake now and we all know what our gut instinct tells us and we don't have to listen to that crap on either side because u will know who is telling the truth and who cares about the people and it sure the hell is not those idiots in DC, it is up to each of us to take care of business and each other because all those fools in DC are good for is how many people can I screw over today and how much money can i make. Check it out how many went there with nothing and what they have now, check obambie out cuz he had his hand out as well as michelle by getting sweetheart land deal next to his house with Tony Resko who is now in prison and all his cohorts that he has run with all these years and acts like he is trying to distance himself is a big lie. Look at ACORN and I rest my case cuz he was the head of that organizaton and was the attorney for them but then that is all he is a community organizer and is not even qualified to be president of this country and it shows, the only other thing he has ever done is be in the legislature a short time in Chicago and a very short term senator cuz he had to quit so he could run for president, If u been around as long as I have and gone thru upteen presidents it really is a disgrace to have him because all he does is mess up cuz he doesn't know what he is doing and not really interested only in promoting his horrible radical ways/

• Anonymous February 19, 2011 at 5:02 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

Breastfeeding has been promoted as the healthiest option for children by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the World Health Organization since before I had my own children. Mrs. Obama didn't invent this notion herself. Three of mine were able to breastfeed, and one wasn't due to prematurity. It isn't possible for all moms to breastfeed in every situation, which Mrs. Obama stated in her public remarks on the issue. Apparently you missed those, dorightwoman. Since breastfeeding is widely known to be the healthiest choice for infants, which I would have thought a mother of five, and I assume a grandmother of several as well, would have heard long before now, I think doing what we can to make it feasible for mothers is probably a good thing. It's also common knowledge that school lunches are very much lacking in nutritional value. Most parents agree with that. As far as evaluating BMI at school goes, they've also been doing that for several years, long before President Obama was elected. Your vitriolic, rambling remarks do very little to add to the civil debate. All I've gathered from your remarks is, you think Mrs. Obama has a big butt, you've thought about what the President and his wife do in the bedroom(you naughty grandma!),you dislike the president and wouldn't agree with him about anything, even if he said the sky was blue, you did very poorly in English class when you were in school, you know very little about the issue at hand, you think it's a terrible thing to promote programs that are geared toward improving the health of children, and – I say this out of concern for your emotional well-being – you may be in need of medication.

• Anonymous February 19, 2011 at 9:51 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

Yawn, yawn. Thank u for your raving review of my opinion. Half your crap doesn't even dignify an answer. Is it that hard for u to get the point?????? Unless u have been in a closet I have known about this for years and I don't need a woman like MO to get on national TV and ramble on about breastfeeding. That issue came up many years ago when they thot woman should have the right to breastfeed anywhere. Again to me that is a personal choice and I do not want her or anyone else dictating to me what to do. It is up to the parents/parent to teach your children about nutrition and the foods they should eat which, knowing kids, doesn't mean they are going to eat and I still feel the same way. I don't need to see her on national TV blabbing about it. BTW it is not her job to legislate which she is trying to do. No, I do not care for either one of them but with good reason. Do u do your homework? Doesn't sound to me like u do. Feel free to get on this board and not carry on a decent debate cuz I see nothing in your reply except u putting me down when u know nothing about me or my grades in English. U might be surprised. U must like the government snooping around in your life telling u what to do. Go for it but not this gal, ever!!!!!

• Anonymous February 20, 2011 at 4:25 am #
      Opinionated MAMA

1. I have educated myself, both politically and otherwise. 2. There is no movement afoot to mandate breastfeeding for women. The movement is to make it more feasible and affordable for women, particularly lower income working women. 2. Poor diet leads to obesity, which in turn leads to a whole slew of health problems. Sometimes this leads people to serious illness, even death.In the case of children they may be led to suffer from diabetes or other high-risk diseases. As a healthcare professional I see it all the time. It is parents' responsibility to teach their children about nutrition. Not all parents do. I teach mine well and feed them balanced meals at home, but when they go to school they're offered corn dogs and nachos as lunch entrees. I, as a parent and taxpayer, welcome any positive change in school lunches, regardless of which political party endorses it. My kids' well being comes before politics. 4. I'm not suggesting that you don't already know the health benefits of breastfeeding and good nutrition. I just get the sense that your political anger is overshadowing the possible benefits of such programs in your mind. No need to reply. I'm done here.

• Anonymous February 20, 2011 at 8:18 am #
      Opinionated MAMA

Well I am going to reply anyway. Being around "poor" people as u call them most of my life doesn't mean they don't know or try to do their best with what they have when raising their children. My complaint is that of the government being involved in our lives. I resent anybody like MO standing in front of a national audience treating woman like they no nothing at all about breastfeeding. No I don't think she is doing that just for "poor" people. She is not even a health professional and is always sticking her foot in her mouth IMHO. When we begin to raise our children, and if we do put them on a balanced diet from the day they are born, even when they go to school odds are they are going to pick out the food they have been brought up on. Not only that it is not the government that should be doing anything, the School District and the parents should be doing this. We could get into all kinds of debates right on down the line from the shcools that get the best food to the schools that are at the bottom, just like with text books. MO just needs to sit in the East Wing and file her nails, work on her arms and stay off national TV.

I am well aware of the health profession. I like the old way "word of mouth" and help and teach each other without hearing anything from DC. Yep I am a gramma and a great gramma and this world is going to hell in a hand basket.

• Anonymous February 21, 2011 at 7:35 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

I do think that every First Lady has an initiative and tries, regardless of political party, to advance an important national agenda – Laura Bush and heart disease and literacy, Nancy Reagan and "Just Say No" to drugs – take it all with a grain of salt. Hopefully, they will reach someone and make a difference. Childhood obesity is a national tragedy and engaged MAMAs like us probably already know the what's and what not's, but unfortunately, there are many women out there who do not. If Michelle Obama can influence them in some way to be better mothers, then we will all benefit.

2. Anonymous February 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm #
    Opinionated MAMA

I think that the government spends millions of dollars a year on baby formula for moms who are on various programs. If we are going to support feeding baby formula to babies (which I realize is a choice and is also often necessary b/c moms are working several jobs), then it is a fair decision to also support BF. I also think that a one time deduction for a breast pump overall is not a huge expense. How many moms will be able to claim their pumps anyway? I believe your medical supplies have to add up to be 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. I'm no math whiz but I would think that disqualifies many people.

3. Anonymous February 21, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

• Anonymous February 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

I think it is a little absurd that all of the ladies in question (michelle o, michelle b, sarah p) ALL agree that breast is best – so, what is the curfuffle all about? I am a republican and think it would have been a great opportunity for all these ladies to agree on something, there is plenty that they don't! Also, I think the more women we can get to breast feed and off the WIC program, the better – more money saved!

4. noelle81177 February 22, 2011 at 5:19 am #
    Party MAMAs

I am not sure why I keep getting notifications that someone has replied to my comment…I haven't commented on this story :) In any event, breast is best, if it is what you want for your kid! Should the government subsidze breastfeeding supplies as medical equipment…sure if I get to write off a fork and a knife! Seriously, we need less government and more personal responsibility!

5. debomama February 23, 2011 at 5:37 pm #
    Christian MAMAS
    Jewish MAMAS
    Mormon MAMAS
    Muslim MAMAS
    Spiritual MAMAS
    Party MAMAs

Some great points in here, MAMAs…remember that we like "civil" discourse and we like to use our words…interesting information and not slamming other MAMAs is what Opinonated MAMA is all about. Thanks MAMAs!

6. Anonymous February 23, 2011 at 8:17 pm #
    Opinionated MAMA

I wanted to know what mamas think about the new Supreme Court ruling. I know I am a "crazy mom" when it comes to vaccines and here is why. Please read!!!

The Supreme Court ruled that federal law shields vaccine makers from product-liability lawsuits in state court seeking damages for a child's injuries or death from a vaccine's side effects.

The high court on Tuesday ruled for Wyeth, which is now owned by Pfizer Inc, in a lawsuit brought by the parents of Hannah Bruesewitz, who suffered seizures as an infant after her third dose of a diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis (DTP) vaccine in 1992.

Pfizer and other vaccine makers had argued that a Supreme Court ruling for the plaintiffs could open the door to a flood of lawsuits — many by families who believe vaccines cause autism — and threaten the supply of childhood vaccines.

Pfizer Executive Vice President and General Counsel Amy Schulman said the company was pleased with the ruling.

"The Vaccine Act that Congress enacted nearly 25 years ago appropriately places the responsibility for determining the optimal design of life-saving childhood vaccines in the hands of expert federal agencies, not a patchwork of state tort systems," she said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/02/22/supreme-court-rules-vaccine-makers-lawsuits/#ixzz1EqXy97AB

• Anonymous February 25, 2011 at 11:46 am #
      Opinionated MAMA

The current Supreme Court will always rule on the side of big business. Unfortunately, our system has completely switched from being one that defends and protects the individual citizen to one that defends and protects the almighty dollars provided by big business. So, as parents, we need to make every decision for ourselves and our families with as much information as possible. When it comes to vaccines, we all need to weigh the pros/cons and make an informed choice. Personally, I have vaccinated all my children because they have irradicated terminal disease in our country and around the world, but with guidance from a pediatrian that I trust.

7. Anonymous March 1, 2011 at 10:17 am #
    Opinionated MAMA

I don't think there is anything wrong with Michelle Obama trying to educate people. Yeah for the government for trying to help out financially. No one is saying "you have to do this or else…". There is medical proof that breast-feeding is the best choice is you can do it. I didn't do it with my first son. I did with my second son from the moment I gave birth to him but I got sick a few days after and had to top because of the medication I was taking. I was very disappointed. I think Michelle Bachman has an extremely skewed view on this matter and is bringing other issues into the breast-feeding issue. Maybe she has her own mommy issues!!

• Anonymous March 3, 2011 at 8:26 pm #
      Opinionated MAMA

I absolutely agree with you. All of the hub bub was absurd. No one was telling anyone they had to do anything, the first lady was informing women about the benefits of breast feeding. Zero common sense in attacking her on THIS issue.

8. debomama April 25, 2011 at 12:39 pm #
    Christian MAMAS
    Jewish MAMAS
    Mormon MAMAS
    Muslim MAMAS
    Spiritual MAMAS
    Party MAMAs

Nicolette Hahn Niman just explained to us how detrimental transfats are to our bodies…check out the study Harvard did at:
    check out O-MAMAs interview with her on http://www.blogtalkradio.com/omama
    REALLY informative and interesting!